Excellent, thanks for that - in my case I only have up to about a dozen objects in my array, so I'll just return 0 for the hash and let it fall back to isEqual:. I see that some of the Omni classes do that too...

In other cases where I make few changes but do lots of comparisons, I might use the string hash idea and cache the return value in the object, triggering an update whenever the relevant data changes. This would be easy for me because the objects in question can archive themselves to XML and I could use the XML string.

Gideon