On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:19 AM, Ruotger Skupin wrote:

Am 24.08.2009 um 23:13 schrieb Ben Trumbull:

When I use setRelationshipKeyPathsForPrefetching the fetch throws:

-[NSSQLAttribute inverseRelationship]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x10ee150

Can you provide the entire stack trace at this point ? gdb use future-break objc_exception_throw

Thanks. What is the actual set of keypaths you set in the fetch request ? setRelationshipKeyPathsForPrefetching expects all the keypaths to terminate in a relationship object, not the attribute off that related object.

(this is 10A432)

For the record: I do use one-way relationships

That should be okay as long as you're not pretending to use a no inverse to-many relationship as a de facto many to many relationship. No inverse relationships can only behave as if the inverse were to-one. Specifically, each row in the destination entity may only be associated with a single row in the source entity if the relationship on the source entity does not have an inverse. (e.g. you only get join tables in fully modeled bi- directional relationships)
Do I understand that correctly? No two (or more) Accounts or Transactions should "point" to the same Amount (see simplified schema). Unless there's a bug somewhere that's not the case.

Correct. For each separate modeled no inverse relationship, the destination row (Amount) can only be pointed to by one source row.

|-------------|
| Transaction |
|-------------|         |--------|
|gross        | ------> |--------|
|fee          | ------> |value   | <<-
|account      | <<-     |currency|    |
|...          |    |    |--------|    |
|-------------|    |                  |
                   |                  |
         ----------                   |
        |                             |
        |    |------------|           |
        |    | Account    |           |
        |    |------------|           |
        |    |balances    | ----------
         --> |transactions|

So basically I use Amount only as a container for a currency descriptor and a value. I would have to model 7 inverse relationships on that entity to make all relationships two-way.

Hmm. I'd recommend consider whether or not it makes sense to de- normalize Amount into Transaction instead of making it a separate entity. I assume the net/gross/fee are all going to be in the same currency, yes ? Amount is very fine grained, and not (apparently) offering very much value for the abstraction cost.

Since it's not a many to many, you can perform the prefetching effectively by hand using a fetch request to preload the relevant destination rows with an IN query based on the data you initially fetched for the source entity. You shouldn't have to, but if you've run into a bug, that's how you could workaround it.

You still haven't described the NSPredicate you were using with filteredArrayUsingPredicate. Being more forthcoming about the context and details of your problem will help us get you answers more quickly.
This is the predicate I was using for the test of the original post, but since I use Smart Folders predicates can look a lot different (i.e.: complex):

(additionalInfo.onTheFlyIsInternal == 0 AND additionalInfo.isSuppressed != 1) AND (account.uniqueID IN {"D1AB3788-00DF-4475-A979-CE3EFC3987B5"} OR FALSEPREDICATE)

You'll want to prefetch additionalInfo and account.

- Ben