I appreciate the responses, and I think Kyle nailed it. It just doesn't work on a black background. I wasn't looking to change the user's preferences, just the way the selection was handled in this particular part of the app. I dug a little further, and it looks like you're right Graham. The color comes directly from user preferences.

So if there's no way to do that, on to my next question. Is there a way to change the color the highlighted portion of text, i.e. the text is normally white, but the highlighted portion of the text will be black. I've overridden the drawing portion of the text field cell, but all I can seem to do is change the color of all text in the cell, not just the specific highlighted portion.

I would really prefer to change the highlight, but if anyone can shed light on the second option, that would be great. I have spent several hours on this issue and it's time to move on to something else.

Regards,
Bryan