I ask with some trepidation, as I am not sure I have done all the research I can, but I seem to have reached a dead end.

I am simply playing with Hillegass' chapter on Drawing with NSBezierPath, setting up an NSView with an initial color, then trying to change a part of that view to a different color.

**Very briefly**

-an NSView control and a button to change a portion of the view

a "model" class (StretchView)

-an iVar : NSColor *currentColor
-an action: changeViewDelta:

The view is initialized thus;

- (id)initWithFrame:(NSRect)frame {
    self = [......;

                [self setCurrentColor:[NSColor greenColor]];

and drawRect  thus:

- (void)drawRect:(NSRect)dirtyRect {

        [[self currentColor]set];
        [NSBezierPath fillRect: dirtyRect];

}

This successfully sets the view to a green.

Now the part that does not work.

changeViewDelta as follows:

-(IBAction) changeViewDelta: (id) sender
{
        NSRect newBounds;
        newBounds.origin.x = newBounds.origin.x + 50.0;
        newBounds.origin.y = newBounds.origin.y + 50.0;
        newBounds.size.width = 75.0;
        newBounds.size.height = 25.0;
        [self setCurrentColor:[NSColor blackColor]];
        [self setNeedsDisplayInRect:newBounds];
}

The docs, say this:
/*Send a setNeedsDisplayInRect: or setNeedsDisplay: message to the view. Sending either of these messages marks part or all of the view as invalid and in need of an update. Cocoa responds by sending a drawRect: message to your view during the next update cycle.*/

I expected this to call drawRect, but it does not. I had envisioned that I would trigger drawRect, but clearly there is something I am missing. ( I had originally set up an outlet (NSView *view, with the call to it instead of "self" (in setNeedsDisplayInRect:)) but this does not do it either, and I **think** in this setup, was unnecessary?)

Thanks in advance.