Graham Cox wrote:

I am leaning towards iMacs, because these computers will serve as
ambassadors as well as development machines;  I want to double-check
that if we have to go to Mac Minis, say with 4 GB of RAM, we won't
be waiting forever to compile a simple program.

iMac will probably be a better development machine than a Mini. RAM
aside, the graphics processor makes a big difference to real-world
performance.

Funny. To me that's actually an argument in the mini's favor. Or, more broadly, it's extremely important that you actually test, early, on something comparable to the low-end of your supported configs. And since for a lot of small developers the development machine is also the primary test machine, it makes a certain kind of sense to aim low.

If, though, you *are* aiming higher it's worth noting that the current low-end iMac has the same GPU as the mini. So if you're looking to avoid that you have to go for a higher model.