On Sep 14, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Graham Cox wrote:

On 14/09/2009, at 11:29 PM, Gregory Weston wrote:

Funny. To me that's actually an argument in the mini's favor. Or, more broadly, it's extremely important that you actually test, early, on something comparable to the low-end of your supported configs. And since for a lot of small developers the development machine is also the primary test machine, it makes a certain kind of sense to aim low.

If, though, you *are* aiming higher it's worth noting that the current low-end iMac has the same GPU as the mini. So if you're looking to avoid that you have to go for a higher model.

Indeed, I tend to agree up to a point. I'm primarily developing on a 1st Gen MacBook, so I know all about low performance ;-) However for some kinds of work it's just too low. For example, Core Image runs poorly for many of its operations (and strangely has got significantly worse in Snow Leopard), so I'm not really seeing the kinds of real-world performance many of my end users are seeing. It also means I may be sweating optimisation for a system that is unrepresentative of my users, simply so I can use and test my own software.

Oh, certainly. There's not a lot of reason other than personal budget to have your only machine be substantially below your target system requirements. As you say, it's just not realistic.