Op 16 sep 2009, om 11:31 heeft Shawn Erickson het volgende geschreven:
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Johan Kool <johank...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear list,

I need to work with strings as in stringA. (I don't have much choice, but to have it in a NSString at the start.) I want to have the readable output "hello world".

NSString *stringA = @"hello\040world";
NSString *stringB = [NSString stringWithUTF8String:"hello \040world"] ;

// This works, so I know NSString can deal with the encoding I have in stringA
NSLog(stringB);

// This does not work (as expected)
NSLog([NSString stringWithUTF8String:[stringA UTF8String]]);

// Nor does this work
NSLog([NSString stringWithUTF8String:[[stringA dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding] bytes]]);

// Or this for that matter
NSLog([NSString stringWithUTF8String:[[stringA dataUsingEncoding:NSASCIIStringEncoding] bytes]]);

Never pass a string like that to NSLog. NSLog takes the first parameter as the FORMAT definition for the log statement. It parses that string looking for %d, etc. and then will attempt pull additional parameters based on what it parses. So it can cause in proper memory/stack access which can crash and/or expose information from you processes memory.

Always ensure the first parameter you pass to NSLog is a proper format string (this goes for any function that takes a format string).

NSLog(@"%@", ...) in this case.

Thanks, you are right. I knew that, this was just a mistake in the code I wrote for phrasing the question. It wasn't (nor solved) the issue I am having unfortunately (see my follow-up post from a few minutes ago).

Johan

---
http://www.johankool.nl/

KOOLISTOV - Software for Mac and iPhone