On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:03 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2009, at 7:46 PM, "David M. Cotter" <m...@davecotter.com>
> wrote:
>
>> you're not going to get Adobe to turn their ship around.  We did it
>> in CS4 for a few apps without issue and nobody was "confused", let
>> alone "incredibly".
>
> Count me among those incredibly confused by the UI changes in the CS3
> to CS4 transition.

I am sorry to hear that - if you want to provide feedback, then feel
free to use Adobe User Forums:
http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa
You can also use the feature request/bug report form on:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&samcap=EWQQL&promoid=EWQQL

If you have anything concrete, then go ahead and email me directly
(don't cc the list in order to keep the list focused on Cocoa topics).

> And Apple did yank 64-bit Carbon UI. I don't think telling Adobe that
> part of that transition means following the HIG is that much of a
> stretch.
There is always a contention between a framework that is easy to use,
and a framework that allows for a number of different experiences.
Ideally you would have both:
- the ability to easily create an application that follows good
experience practices
- the ability to experiment with features/experiences that work for
your particular user segment
Cocoa is different than Carbon on these two axis - not worse, and not
better, just different.

With regards to floating UI, I have had issues where the button
highlight on my main window dims when I put focus on a UI panel.
This is not how Carbon works, and in my opinion it makes it harder to
quickly see which document your floating UI is targeting.
We discussed how this would work for our users and decided that they
would not like the change.
We therefore I ended up using HITheme APIs (these are available in
both 32 and 64 bit) and logging enhancement radars.

Jesper Storm Bache