On Sep 23, 2009, at 3:20 AM, Chris Idou wrote:

Ok, so if I don't desire bug for bug 10.5 compatibility, but I do want it to run on 10.5, then I select 10.6 SDK and 10.5 deployment target, is that right?

I wouldn't have put it that way, but, yes, I suppose that's accurate.

I'm curious what happens if you use some external frameworks that were built against 10.5 SDK, yet your main app is 10.6 - I assume it will have to go with what your app says, I guess?

Yes, it's the main executable of the process which determines this.

Also, since I'd like to take advantage of Snow Leopard bug fixes, but I don't want to blow up on Leopard, what is the correct way to test whether you are running on Leopard so that the code at runtime can implement Leopard specific work arounds?

Don't test whether you're running on Leopard. Just write your code to cope with either behavior of the framework. Read the release notes for the frameworks on which you rely for more guidance. I think when you see the sorts of bugfixes which are special-cased in this way, it will be obvious how you should code in response.

In any case, there's no way to get around the need to read the release notes and documentation, and test on all platforms to which you plan to deploy.

Regards,
Ken