> >> No, there is no API (in Cocoa or otherwise) to control the active
> space.
>
> >But how does Spaces do it? Is it via an internal, private API that
> >people like us don't have access to?
>
> There may not be any API, internal or otherwise. It might be all just
> built into the internal
> workings of the window manager process.
>
> One would presume there is an internal API for switching to the grid
> view, since Spaces.app does
> that.

OK. Thanks.

Well, at least I now know that can do what I want, albeit kludgily:

I can find out the current Space as described in the earlier message
here. And although there's no Cocoa nor CoreServices way for me to
switch Spaces, I can at least do that via Apple Events in a sort-of
hacky way: in the Spaces Preference Pane, I can map keystrokes to the
"Switch Directly Into a Space" events, and then I can use Apple Events
in my application to send these keystrokes.

None of this is ideal, of course, but it's workable and acceptable for
my purposes.

Thanks again to all.

--
 Hippo Man