All right, so my original question still stands after all (and, I'm
sorry, I should've done more poking around before posting here).
target/action binding behaves differently from a connection: I can't
implement validateMenuItem: (it's never called) and I don't see a way
to send the control itself as an argument (to emulate the usual
selector:(id)sender pattern).

What I want is to be able to preset actions (selectors), like the
binding, but get behavior which includes validateMenuItem:. It's not
the end of the world if it isn't possible, I'll just hook everything
up at runtime with a big pile of [control setAction:@selector(...)];
[control setTarget:target]; in the controller's awakeFromNib.