On 28/09/2009, at 12:04 AM, jon wrote:

i have one instance of Outline View called myOutlineView, so no matter how many documents are displayed on the screen, there is only one myOutlineView instance,

I'm pretty sure that is never going to work. If I read you correctly, you have a single view instance that is simultaneously a subview of any number of documents? If so, that's just not a valid setup. A view must have a distinct unique parent view and window, not multiple parent views. However, I'm not sure how you could even set this up, so I'm skeptical that your description is really accurate.

What you need here is a separate view instance in each document but possibly sharing the same data source or controller such that they all show the same data, or sanest of all, separate data sources/ controllers that all reference a common shared data model - that is after all what you've described as your needs. This last will "just work" as long as you strictly follow MVC and use a standard recognised method for notifying views, like KVO or bindings.

--Graham