ok, after thinking and analyzing what was going on, everytime i make a new document in the running app, it created a new instance of the window and all related stuff in the window including myOutlineView. and then my dataSource in code remained the same that fills out these outline views... (atleast this is my current understanding).

so my question now morphs into:

as Jens says below, he in some cases is looping through the apps window list...

in my case, in my main document xib, i have an "outline Controller" which is type NStreeController... and i have this defined..

IBOutlet NSTreeController *treeController which is the thing that is controlling the outline view, and appears to be the thing i want to update...

the question it appears to me is: that this "treeController" also is made into multiple instances with each new Document, is there an already defined "loop" of these? (a list of the open document's NSTreeController *treeController;)

or do i need to make an NSMutableArray, and keep track of these myself? and then update these instances myself by looping through them?

thanks,
Jon.