Now, I have some code that changes the value of the 'B enumeration
value' that A is using.  This does the following:
1. Create a new instance of the B subentity that represents the value
we want (in the same MOC as A)
2. Delete the old B object that A was pointing to, i.e. [moc
deleteObject:B];
3. Set A's to-one relationship to point to the new B object (and for
good measure, set B's inverse relationship - though this should be
done automagically).
4. Save the moc

4. is where badness happens (failed to save).  The error tells me that
A's relationship property to B is nil... but just before I do the save
I log the value of the object referenced by this relationship and it's
the new 'B' object!
I have no idea what I've done to upset Core Data such that it claims a
relationship is nil when I save, but the line before the [moc
save:&err], the relationship shows as referencing a perfectly good
object.

So you delete B, which has an inverse relationship to A. Then you set a new B on A. Then you save, and delete propagation cleans up the graph, nullifying the old B's inverse relationship ?

What happens if you add a call to -processPendingChanges in between #2 and #3 ?

- Ben