Hello Ben.

What happens if you add a call to -processPendingChanges in between #2 and #3 ?

... well then everything works wonderfully (oh joy!!) :-)

OK. I need to get a proper mental picture of why this is needed in this case. I guess I was vaguely aware of this method from previous passes though the Core Data docs, but...

- The method documentation itself doesn't _really_ suggest it may be essential in some cases. Rather, the talk is about getting the undo manager into step, and even then the statement is made that this is done by default at the end of the run loop. - deleteObject docs, or indeed the guide section on deleting (Creating and Deleting Managed Objects) makes no mention of a need to call this method - I had tried manually setting the old deleted objects 'back relationship' to nil, before deleting it, and before setting A's relationship to the new B. This hadn't worked, but was my attempt to keep the relationships consistent - at least in in the MOC that induced the change.

It's tempting to just think that you should _always_ do a - processPendingChanges before a -save:, but I'd prefer to understand what's really happening here.

If you have insights on the above, then that would be great. Regardless, you've just improved my humour by several degrees ;-)

-- Luke

On 2009-09-29, at 3:59 PM, Ben Trumbull wrote:

Now, I have some code that changes the value of the 'B enumeration
value' that A is using.  This does the following:
1. Create a new instance of the B subentity that represents the value
we want (in the same MOC as A)
2. Delete the old B object that A was pointing to, i.e. [moc
deleteObject:B];
3. Set A's to-one relationship to point to the new B object (and for
good measure, set B's inverse relationship - though this should be
done automagically).
4. Save the moc

4. is where badness happens (failed to save). The error tells me that A's relationship property to B is nil... but just before I do the save I log the value of the object referenced by this relationship and it's
the new 'B' object!
I have no idea what I've done to upset Core Data such that it claims a
relationship is nil when I save, but the line before the [moc
save:&err], the relationship shows as referencing a perfectly good
object.

So you delete B, which has an inverse relationship to A. Then you set a new B on A. Then you save, and delete propagation cleans up the graph, nullifying the old B's inverse relationship ?

What happens if you add a call to -processPendingChanges in between #2 and #3 ?

- Ben