hmmm,  well i'm trying hard to do it...    here is what i've done...

in a header:

IBOutlet ImageTextField *addressBar;

i've created this pointer to this instance...

and then in the awakefromNib method,  i have this...

[ImageTextField setCellClass:[ImageTextFieldCell class]];

this set's the class so it's cell is "correct"... for the class... but....

but maybe this is too late for the instance addressBar. which was set in the header and IB???

I don't know how to check this instance to see if it is using the custom cell, and i don't know how to set the instance specifically... (if this class method didn't do it)?

Jon.