Although, to be clear, you *can* do this is in code, just not the way you
were doing it. You have to make sure you're talking to this instance at the
right moment, i.e. before the window appear but after the instance (the text
field) has been assembled by the nib. That moment, of course, is
awakeFromNib.

So, in awakeFromNib, instantiate the cell (you know, alloc-init etc.) and
set the textfield's cell - not its cell class, its *cell* - to that cell
instance:

[theTextField setCell: theCell];

If you do this in the text field's own awakeFromNib, then *all* text field's
of this class will adopt the custom cell.

[self setCell: theCell];

Or you can do it from elsewhere to specify that just *particular* text
fields should adopt the custom cell.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!