On Oct 1, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Graham Cox wrote:

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I've observed similar behaviour in some of my text fields. As long as you're typing, what you type is what the field will display. On enter/return, the value is sent to the data model, through the transformer if necessary. The question is what happens then?

exactly!

For fields that are updated via KVO, I find that the reverse transformation will be applied and the field gets updated. That makes sense because there is a notification coming back from the data model that updates the UI. For fields where I just have a one- way type of situation (plain target-action, say), the field doesn't get updated - again for obvious reasons.

Everything you say here makes sense. This would apply to bindings also, wouldn't it?

So I'd be looking at the data model --> view data path for the solution to this, not the other way around.

Not sure if this is any help, but you don't state how your UI and data model connect - target/action, KVO or bindings.

Thank you, Graham-

Sorry, I should have stated my connection mechanism. I am using bindings.

Initially, I was using KVO in the table, and I thought maybe that difference had something to do with it, but since that time, I have converted everything in the table to bindings, removed all the glue code, and I still see the same behavior (I have an NSPopUpButtonCell in one of the columns, and in the beginning I had that wired up with KVO, but I later learned how I could use it with bindings, hence the change).

Additionally, I just tested on a new NSTableView with nothing but bindings, and it shows the same behavior as the original table view (the NSTextFieldCell gets updated)

And finally, I just tried binding to the NSTextFieldCell of an NSTextField and I saw the same behavior as binding to the field itself (I was testing if there was something about NSTextFieldCell that made the bindings do the update, but it seems that's not it).

At this point, I would settle for an ugly workaround to make my text fields do the same update as my table views' cells. Does anyone know a way?