I got a couple of private messages about breakpoints and
stacktraces, which, of course, I had done before I posted my
question.  That's how I discovered that [mod
processPendingChanges] led to an exception when adding to an
empty database table.

I learned a little more about the exception.  It occurs in
[self.tableView endUpdates] which is  invoked, I think, as a
result of [moc processPendingChanges].

I have had problems in the past with [self.tableView endUpdates]
with empty database tables but thought that this time was
different.  Previously, I had tried preventing [self.tableView
endUpdates] being called when the database tables was empty but
that caused other problems (e.g. my Add <Entity Name> button
didn't appear when the database table was empty).

I've seen others mention problems with [self.tableView
endUpdates].  Does anyone know how to make [self.tableView
endUpdates] less vulnerable when the associated database table
is empty?

Steve,

Which version of iPhoneOS SDK are you building for ? This sounds like an issue that was fixed in 3.1. There has been more discussion of known issues and work arounds for the NSFetchedResultsController on the devforums. You might try searching them, or looking at <https://devforums.apple.com/message/100783#100783 >

- Ben