I'm working on a plug-in-based app. While I have to scan all of the plug-ins and load some information from their info.plists, I don't necessarily need to load any of the code until a plug-in is actually used. My main question is, is it worth it to do this? It seems like that's one advantage of plug-ins, but now I'm at a point where it's more elegant if I can determine if the plug-in class derives from a particular base class, rather than storing a key in info.plist (it would be redundant).

1) I'm assuming [NSBundle bundleWithPath:] doesn't load a bundle's code, right? The docs seem to suggest this is the case.

2) Once the principal class is loaded, everything is loaded, right?

Plug-ins get grouped into a few different types, and it seems nicer to distinguish any given plug-in by what base class it inherits, rather than by specifying a key in the bundle's info.plist. The latter approach means a plug-in developer has to ensure that the proper key is present, the former requires loading of the code on app startup (when it scans plug-in directories to build a list of available plug- ins).

I suppose I could look for the key, and if it's not present, then load the principal class and find out.

Thoughts?

TIA,
Rick