Hi folks. So my screensaver broke on 10.6, along with everybody else's, and I'm told that's because it has to be compiled for the 64- bit architecture, because System Prefs is a 64-bit app on 10.6. So I set up a conditional compilation thing where it compiles three versions:

- ppc against the 10.4 SDK (deployment target 10.4), GCC 4.0
- intel against the 10.4 SDK (deployment target 10.4), GCC 4.0
- intel 64-bit against the 10.6 SDK (deployment target 10.6), GCC 4.2

These settings are from a web page about how to get a screensaver to work on 10.6; I don't know why the GCC version needs to vary, for example. I'm just following orders. :-> This all seems to work fine, after much fussing about with deprecated APIs and such. My screensaver now builds and links without errors, and lipo gives me promising-looking output showing my three architectures. The screensaver runs fine on 10.5 intel; haven't tried it on 10.4 or ppc, but I imagine it's fine there too.

But on 10.6 I still get the same error from System Preferences. Opened Console and saw this:

10/11/09 2:51:18 PM ScreenSaverEngine[204] Error loading ...: dlopen(..., 265): no suitable image found. Did find:
        ...: GC capability mismatch
10/11/09 2:51:18 PM ScreenSaverEngine[204] ScreenSaverModules: can't get principalClass for ...

So I guess System Preferences doesn't like my garbage collection setting (which is set to "Unsupported"). Do I really need to turn GC on to get my screensaver to work?? I haven't seen anything about that elsewhere, so this catches me a bit off guard. I would have assumed that they would build it to be able to handle either style. Is there any way around this? Since I want my screensaver to still run on 10.4, this is more than a little inconvenient.

  Thanks for any advice!

Ben Haller
Stick Software