Hi,
I'm running Xcode 3.2 on Snow Leopard.
There is an object of type HDIR which can contains a mutable array of children objects of type HDIR, so a tree is formed. I can go back using the Back button and release this HDIR type root object.
And then again form a new tree.
When a tree is formed the VM according to Activity Monitor reaches a high value and when I release this tree, it doesn't come any lower, but when I again form the tree, it starts increasing from that max value. Does it mean that VM is not being freed, due to some bug in my releasing the tree?

Here is some Object Alloc instrument data after the first tree is formed (1), after releasing that tree (2) and after again making a tree (3):
        Category        Live Bytes      #Living         #Transitory
Overall Bytes   #Overall
1.      HDIR            1.73 MB         10333           10428
3.48 MB                 20761
2.      HDIR            0                       0                       20761
                3.48 MB                 20761
3.      HDIR            1.73 MB         10333           31189
6.97 MB                 41522

Does the #Living being added to #Transitory means that tree is not actually freed?

The Instrument docs says about Object Alloc:

This instrument captures the following information:

Category - typically a Core Foundation object, an Objective-C class, or a raw block of memory. Net Bytes - the number of bytes of this type currently allocated but not yet released. # Net - the number of objects or memory blocks of this type currently allocated but not yet released. Overall Bytes - the total number of bytes of this type that have been allocated, including those that have been released. # Overall - the total number of objects or memory blocks of this type that have been allocated, including those that have been released. # Allocations (Net / Overall) - A histogram of the current and total counts. The bars are normally shades of blue. They are colored shades of yellow when the ratio between the total number of objects and the peak, or the ratio between the peak and the current number, is 1/3 or less. The bars are shades of red when the ratio is 1/10 or less.
It doesn't list the meaning of #Transitory.

Thanks,
Nick