On 16-Oct-09, at 3:04 PM, Alastair Houghton wrote:

On 16 Oct 2009, at 03:54, Andrew Farmer wrote:

On 15 Oct 2009, at 13:34, Ben Haller wrote:
Hi all. I need a good Obj-C framework for sending email. I used to use the Message.framework associated with Apple's Mail, but they killed that a long time ago, sadly. Then I used Pantomime; but it seems to also be abandoned, now, and it is crashing on 10.5 (and it was never terribly reliable anyway). Does anybody know of a good replacement? I haven't had any luck trying to find one using Google.

Keep in mind that many users may not have any SMTP server configured -- an increasing number of users use webmail for everything, and don't have a desktop client set up. And, in many of these cases, they may be behind a firewall or ISP that blocks connections to port 25 (SMTP) on all servers other than their own. If you need to reliably deliver email from a user's machine, you'll probably need to set up a gateway of some sort yourself, or have them input SMTP settings manually.

Or you could do what we do and ask their mail client to deliver it for us. The code we use for that is Open Source, and you can get it here:

 <http://www.coriolis-systems.com/opensource/>

CSMail can also generate messages and pop them up in their client ready for them to send themselves, which is something we use in some circumstances as well.

(It's possible that we have updated CSMail a bit since the version on that page, I don't know... but if someone's interested in using it, I can check.)

I am definitely interested in using it, Alastair. This solution would in fact be optimal for my purposes. If you could make sure it's up to date, that would be great.

Ben Haller
Stick Software