On Oct 26, 2009, at 9:00 am, Fritz Anderson wrote:

> I'm about to unleash a Core Data-based application, and I'm sure the schema
> will change in later versions. The Core Data Model Versioning and Data
> Migration Programming Guide seems to say that migrating a store from one
> version to another, at least in simple cases, is magical: The application
> embeds the historical MOMs, with one of them marked "current," and when a
> store built to an earlier model is opened, it is (in SIMPLE cases) migrated
> to the current model.
> Is this the case?

It's not clear what the question is.  The implication appears to be that the
documentation is simply presenting a fiction of functionality that's not
actually present.

It's not magical.

Per the Guide
(<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CoreDataVersioning/Articles/vmLightweight.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40008426>):

"To request automatic lightweight migration, you set appropriate flags in the
options dictionary you pass
inaddPersistentStoreWithType:configuration:URL:options:error:. You need to set
values corresponding to both the NSMigratePersistentStoresAutomaticallyOption
and the NSInferMappingModelAutomaticallyOption keys to YES..."

The (iPhone) PhotoLocations example
(<http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/samplecode/PhotoLocations/>)
illustrates the feature.

mmalc