I have a series of objects created periodically in my code which show no roots
under the GC Monitor in instruments, yet stubbornly refuse to be garbage
collected. I've tried forcing garbage collection and also clearing the stack in
various spots with objc_clear_stack(OBJC_CLEAR_RESIDENT_STACK).

The data is all being created on a background thread (via an NSOperationQueue)
that runs a computational loop and outputs data every so often. The outputted
data is packed up in an NSMutableData object and handed off to be written to a
file. This all works beautifully, except that the NSMutableData objects don't
get garbage collected.

This is code I wrote during my PhD thesis and can be downloaded here,
        http://earlyinnovations.com/downloads/FPSimulator.zip
The objects in question are created in the file QGComovingEquation.m in the
function,
        - (void) sendDataToControllerUsingVariablesPsibar:ybar:laplacian:
found on line 253. To run a sample simulation, go to the "Initial Conditions"
tab, click "Add Gaussian," then hit "Start Simulation."

This is one outstanding bug I'd like to fix (as things do run out of memory
during a typical simulation) -- so if you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.

Jeffrey