> There are two self's, I.e. two different instances.  The name 'self' isn't a
> single variable.  It represents the object that's responding to the message,
> and executing the method.
>
> My guess is that one instance is created in the nib, and the other is
> created in code you wrote.
>
> Use the debugger.  Set a breakpoint on the init methods and look at how it
> reaches that point.

I'm still trying to hunt down the second instance of 'self' that I'm
seeing but I don't understand something here.

@interface AppController : NSWindowController
{
        MainViewController *mvc;
        NSMutableArray *mainViewControllers;
}
…

@implementation AppController
- (id) init
{
        mainViewControllers = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];

        // This is the 1st and should be only instance I create.

        mvc = [[DataViewController alloc] initWithController:self];
        [mainViewControllers addObject:mvc];
        [mvc release];

- (void) awakeFromNib
{
        [self displayViewController:[mainViewControllers objectAtIndex:0]];
}

- (void) displayViewController:(MainViewController *) mvc
{
        NSWindow *win = [box window];
        BOOL ended = [win makeFirstResponder:win];

        if (!ended) {
                NSBeep();

                return;
        }

        // This is calling the 2nd instance which I can see w/ the debugger.
        NSView *mv = [mvc view];

        [box setContentView:mv];
}
@end

When I'm viewing the call stack in the debugger, I see that my
DataViewController's init method is called a second time from the line
… "NSView *mv = [mvc view]".

I'm doing view swapping just as is done in Hillegass's 3rd. ed. book.
So my DataViewController is subclassed from a MainViewController which
is an NSViewController.

I looked at the NSViewController docs but didn't anything about why
[NSViewController view] would send an init msg to the receiver.