On Nov 25, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Jens Alfke wrote:

On Nov 25, 2009, at 7:27 AM, Paul Bruneau wrote:

I think I recognize, and I am pretty sure I have read that Sketch does things Wrong. I see that the shape objects keep their own bounds (and frame?) information. It seems clear to me that this is Wrong. What does Sketch do if it ever can have two views of the same objects?

The bounding box is an intrinsic property of a geometric object, independent of how it's viewed.

Unless you're talking about something like a bounding box transformed into view coordinates; I'm not familiar with the Sketch code. That would definitely be part of the view, not the model. That sort of design is often done by having a parallel per-view model that's been transformed for use in the view, and code that keeps the per-view model synced with changes to the master. Core Animation uses this sort of design.

Thank you, I was thinking of the bounding box as dependent on the view. For example, I think of a "zoom" value for a view--that affects the bounding box, doesn't it? Or do I use a sort of "natural bounding box" for my objects that is then modified by the view's zoom?

I guess this is what you mean by "a bounding box transformed into view coordinates". Yes, that is the way I am thinking of it, so that I can do things like hit-testing in however many views my user might have open. So OK I will start thinking about a parallel per-view model.

Thanks!