Okay, here's the deal:

Norton Firewall notifies me that configd is attempting to access the internet, so I block it.

I then pull up Terminal.app and "man configd".

That in turn, leads me to "SystemConfiguration.framework SCDynamicStore.h"

So, I make a new XCode CoreFoundation Tool project, and import the SystemConfiguration.framework. I then look under "External Frameworks and Libraries" (where I dragged the system configuration framework), and look in the headers.

The comments indicate that I need to begin by calling SCDynamicStoreCreate, so I scroll down. It says

SCDynamicStoreRef
SCDynamicStoreCreate (
  CFAllocatorRef allocator,
  CFStringRef name,
  SCDynamicStoreCallBack callout,
  SCDynamicStoreContext, *context
  );

Here's where my confusion begins.

1) Would I declare this as
  a) SCDynamicStoreRef myRef;
  b) SCDynamicStore *myRef;
c) SCDynamicStore &myRef; // Probably not, I believe only C++ defines the "&" operator this way
  d) SCDynamicStoreRef *myRef;

2) Is a CFStringRef replaceable with a literal NSString via toll-free- bridging? And exactly what does it expect this string to contain? The name of the compiled executable?

3) Do I need the callback?

4) Is there an ObjC class that encapsulates this functionality?

5) The documentation states that the SCDynamicStoreRef needs to be released. I assume using the free() function in the C <stdlib.h> header?