There was a smooth scrolling feature that was introduced in 10.3
which seems to be automatically enabled for NSTextViews, but it
doesn't seem to work for NSScrollViews with custom views.

Is there anything I need to do to enable this? Or is this enabled by
default now (I'm using the 10.5 SDK, running 10.6)? Just wanted to
make sure because my scrolling certainly does not feel smooth. Looked
up documentation on how to do this, but found nothing.

I don't kow about NSScrollViews but with the Apple mouse with the little
scrolling ball, and with two finger track pad scrolling, scrolling is
perfectly smooth because of the fine resolution. 'Smooth scrolling'
which tried to filter the large steps of the old clicking scroll wheels,
seems obsolete.

Somehow Opera hasn't got the message. It still scrolls in steps, even
with track pad scrolling.

TextEdit has an odd behavior too: When jumping to the top or bottom of a
large file it seems to coast in with smooth scrolling and go instantly
without it, which I much prefer.

- Bill Ehrich