On Dec 17, 2009, at 09:24, Jim Majure wrote:

> I'm having problems enabling the "Edit>Delete" menu item on a custom view.
> Here's what I have tried:
>
> - I have linked the Delete menu item to the "delete:" selector of the First
> Responder in IB.
> - I have implemented the "(IBAction) delete: (id) sender;" on my custom view.
> - I have implemented the "(BOOL)validateUserInterfaceItem:(id
> <NSValidatedUserInterfaceItem>)item" on my custom view
> - I have confirmed that my view is being set as first responder at runtime
> (via acceptsFirstResponder, becomeFirstResponder, resignFirstResponder)
>
> The "Delete" menu item never becomes enabled. I can get the "Cut" menu item
> to enable and activate when tied to the "cut:" selector, but no luck with
> "Delete". I'm sure that I'm overlooking something very simple, but being a
> newbie, I can't figure out what.

Surely this is a job for the debugger. Set a breakpoint in
'validateUserInterfaceItem:' and watch what happens. It could be something as
simple as testing for '@selector (delete)' instead of '@selector (delete:)',
but you should be able to debug this problem in a shorter time than it took you
to write your original post. :)