Here's a recipe I discovered recently:  Consult the Apple Human Interface
Guidelines PDF [1], which sometimes has an "Implementation" section that tells
you what classes, APIs, or constants to use.

In this case, browsing for this section:

        Part III: Aqua
                > Windows
                        > Dialogs
                                > Types of Dialogs and When to Use Them
                                        > Sheets (Document-Modal Dialogs)

...reveals the key word "sheet", which in NSAlert.h will lead you straight to
        -[NSAlert
beginSheetModalForWindow:modalDelegate:didEndSelector:contextInfo:]

In the old days, the HI Guidelines always left us to discover the appropriate
implementation ourselves.  I like the new "Implementation" sections a lot,
though currently they seem to only exist for the various views and controls.

[1]
<http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/DOCUMENTATION/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/OSXHIGuidelines.pdf>

Cheers,

--Dave