On Dec 23, 2009, at 03:06:58, Gregory Weston wrote:

> Did you happen to have an 'a-ha' moment when you typed that sentence? "Views"
> don't generally have an active/inactive state. Controls, which are a special
> case of view, do. So have you considered making your custom view an NSControl
> instead of a simple NSView?
>
> That's the thing, you see. "Inactive" means the user can't interact with it.
> But the user can't interact with a view that's not a control anyway, so the
> state has no meaning.

On the contrary, users can interact with an inactive control. They can't
interact with a disabled control. Consider a scroll bar. It can draw in an
inactive state (not blue), but you can still interact with it by sending the
window scroll events (something I'm unconvinced you should be able to do, but
you can, and it proves convenient).

In my case, it's a drawing canvas. However, the active drawing tool should not
draw when the view is inactive (not frontmost). Since the tool is a singleton
object in the app used by many views, it's important to be able to make the
distinction. I suppose I could subclass NSControl, but this strikes me as
inelegant (and I don't know that it has active/inactive state anyway).

--
Rick