On Dec 23, 2009, at 9:25 PM, Henry McGilton (Boulevardier) wrote:

On Dec 23, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Richard Somers wrote:

In my application when I do the following something strange happens.

Add a managed object to the store, save the file, then save the file as another name.

Upon saving the file with another name, core data will create and then destroy some kind of transitory shadow object of the same kind as the one in the store.

Is this normal?

Just a wild guess --- are you saving atomically? When writing NSData objects, as one example, you can write to file atomically, in which case the object is written to a backup file which is renamed if the write succeeds. The idea is that the write either succeeds or fails, but nothing in between that would leave a corrupted file ...

This could be what is happening but I will need to check into it more. I started with a standard core data project template so I do not know if I am saving atomically or not. Some of my managed objects are NSData. The resulting file is not corrupted.

I use -didTurnIntoFault to cleanup caches for the managed objects. The cache is not created until the managed object is "used" for the first time. In -didTurnIntoFault I did not check to see if the cache existed, I just assumed that if the managed object existed it would be "used" and the cache would exist. Bad assumption. So I was attempting to remove a non-existing cache on this this transitory shadow object that was never "used" by my application.

--Richard