I'm developing a small open source app called QuickCursor.

- http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/quickcursor/
- http://github.com/jessegrosjean/quickcursor

The idea is to replace the input manage based "edit in" features with
a generic program that provides the same feature, but using public
API's instead of input manage hacks.

Right now QuickCursor works through the accessibility api to
read/write text from the target app. This works well for many apps
(ones that expose their text as a single writable string attribute to
the accessibility api), but not all apps do that. And as a result
QuickCursor doesn't work everywhere. And so I'm looking for an
alternative idea. The accessibility api also has a problem that it
seems to mess up the undo stack in some programs.

Someone suggested that I use AppleEvents to automate select
all/copy/paste out of and then back into the target app. That would
seem to be a greate approach, but I'm not sure how to do it. Is there
anyone on this list who would be willing to help? Via the
accessibility API I can get/set the current process and the current
focused element. But then I need help sending an apple event to select
all, and copy the text. And on the return trip I need help pasting in
new text.

Thanks,
Jesse