I know most apps don't support AppleScript directly, but I thought
there was some way to automatically script the menu items of most
apps.

But wait... I bet I can already call those menu items through the
accessibility API anyway! So I guess I probably don't need
AppleEvents. Thanks for your response, made me think just a bit
furthur I can probably work through this solution myself now.

Jesse