A friend of mine loves her new 27" iMac but has complained at how small
everything is. Searching around on the net I found that it has about a 109 dpi
pixel density. I also saw today that the new Nexus phone has a pixel size of
800x480 (as opposed to my iPhone's 480x320 pixel size), and the two together
got me thinking more seriously about resolution independence again. Other than
making big icons for my apps, I had pretty much ignored the resolution
independence issue.

Today I fired up Quartz Debug to set the UI Resolution to a bigger scale, and I
am happy that my applications did OK.

But how accurate of a test is this compared to real-world resolution
independence?

Or in other words, is there real resolution independence built into Snow
Leopard for apps? Can I (or my friend with her 27" iMac) set a scale factor on
an application without using Quartz Debug?

Is there something similar for iPhone development?

Or is the Xcode mailing list a better place for this question?

Thanks,

Todd