On Jan 5, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Todd Heberlein wrote:

> A friend of mine loves her new 27" iMac but has complained at how small
> everything is. Searching around on the net I found that it has about a 109
> dpi pixel density. I also saw today that the new Nexus phone has a pixel size
> of 800x480 (as opposed to my iPhone's 480x320 pixel size), and the two
> together got me thinking more seriously about resolution independence again.
> Other than making big icons for my apps, I had pretty much ignored the
> resolution independence issue.
>
> Today I fired up Quartz Debug to set the UI Resolution to a bigger scale, and
> I am happy that my applications did OK.
>

> But how accurate of a test is this compared to real-world resolution
> independence?
>
> Or in other words, is there real resolution independence built into Snow
> Leopard for apps? Can I (or my friend with her 27" iMac) set a scale factor
> on an application without using Quartz Debug?

RI, unfortunately, is not yet 100%.  My app is fully ready to go; got it done
back in the days of Tiger developer seeds.

However, my app uses its own UI (no Aqua).  Thus, I had full control over
graphics (100% vector-based PDF) as well as drawing primitives.

Having said that, Quartz Debug is definitely a very useful tool to flush out RI
issues.  There is no user-level setting currently in the OS; you need Quartz
Debug from devtools.

My app works at all scaling factors (to include the non-integral ones such as
1.333), but I found that the Aqua UI was not up to the same degree of
compliance.  Integral scale factors turned out somewhat OK (e.g. 2.0), but you
could tell where bitmapped art was still being used.  Non-integral scaling
factors were awful for Aqua.

I was hoping that Leopard would be the debut and then later Snow Leopard, but
alas not yet.

> Is there something similar for iPhone development?

No.  For iPhone OS, you really should use art in the most optimum format.  This
is currently PNG (i.e. bitmapped).  Scaling things on-the-fly ends up eating
cycles which means more power consumption.  Granted, not nearly as much power
as cellular/network communication, but still a waste.

> Or is the Xcode mailing list a better place for this question?

No, most RI threads have been on this list.  Definitely search the archives for
other notes or tips/tricks.