There's an option on the binding labeled "Continuously Updates Value" in IB.
Make sure that's on. (or set it in the options dictionary if you're using the
API call to bind).

On a separate note, instead of a timer to check for changes, try setting a
delegate on that NSTextField and watching for the controlTextDidChange:
notification. You'll get those when the contents of the field change in any way
(so you'll get one after each letter typed, for example), so you'll know
precisely when a change is made. But, if you fix the binding, you shouldn't
need this at all.

Wyatt