On Jan 12, 2010, at 12:46 PM, Heizer, Charles wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm trying to use IPC (Unix domain
> socket AF_UNIX) to pass data between two applications.
>
> I have a console application which is sending data to the socket path and a
> Cocoa GUI app which is reading it using NSFileHandle. The problem I'm seeing
> is on 10.5 systems I'm not getting all of the data. I'm only getting 502
> characters, but on 10.6 i'm getting the whole thing.
>
> Is there some kind of buffer size I can adjust, I'm not really sure what to
> do?

You don't say what methods of NSFileHandle you're using to read the data.  In
particular, some of the asynchronous methods require that you re-issue the
request to keep reading.  For example, -readInBackgroundAndNotify will post an
NSFileHandleReadCompletionNotification notification when it reads _some_ data.
In your handler for that notification, you must repeat the
-readInBackgroundAndNotify invocation to read more data.  You will know you've
read to end-of-file (or closing of a communications channel) when you receive
an empty data object in that notification.

Regards,
Ken