Notification Programming Topics for Cocoa states

"A notification center delivers notifications to observers synchronously. In
other words, when posting a notification, control does not return to the
poster until all observers have received *and processed* the notification."
[my emphasis]

I was wondering exactly what "and processed" included in the statement
above.

If I post a named notification to the appDelegate and that delegate, upon
receipt, immediately calls func1() which calls func2() etc. where does this
"processed" chain stop?  What if this chain terminates with exactly the same
notification that started it?  Does this all build up a long, unterminated
chain or does it end earlier somehow?  Tests with NSLog() would seem to
indicate that the latter occurs but it is not entirely clear from the
documentation.

Thanks -- and apologies for such a newbie query.

--
Mike McLaughlin