On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:21 AM, McLaughlin, Michael P. wrote:

> "A notification center delivers notifications to observers synchronously. In
> other words, when posting a notification, control does not return to the
> poster until all observers have received *and processed* the notification."
> [my emphasis]
>
> I was wondering exactly what "and processed" included in the statement
> above.

Until the observer's notification method returns.

> If I post a named notification to the appDelegate and that delegate, upon
> receipt, immediately calls func1() which calls func2() etc. where does this
> "processed" chain stop?

It doesn't until the original appDelegate method returns.

>  What if this chain terminates with exactly the same notification that
> started it?

Not sure what you mean. If the same notification is sent before the original
method returns, the whole chain executes again, potentially recursively.

>  Does this all build up a long, unterminated chain or does it end earlier
> somehow?

It will not end until you run out of stack space and your app crashes. I expect
the docs are just there to explain the API, and not necessarily to let you know
how much rope you are given to hang yourself with ;-)

I think it is best to equate a notification with a plain method call. Except
that I have found Cocoa doesn't like nesting notifications much.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.