On 25.01.2010, at 19:14, James Montgomerie wrote:

I think you're on a wild goose chase here - the most likely explanation to me is that something somewhere is deliberately calling -[NSString boolValue] (and it may not be 'your' code - I wouldn't put it out of the realms of possibility that a call to it sneaked into Sparkle), which didn't exist until 10.5.

I believe you're right. I've commented some lines related to Sparkle, and now the same call occurs in a more clear location, definitely related to Sparkle.

If this is the problem, and you want to target Tiger, the best solution would be to find the use of boolValue in the code base and replace it with something that will work on 10.4.

I don't know how to do it, as I have no sources for Sparkle. I could make a post at the Sparkle bug tracker, indeed.

The category method you made on NSString is not the right solution - it almost certainly does less than the 10.5+ framework implementation, and it'll replace that method when system frameworks call it, which could cause all sorts of problems (this hit me in the past - the SYCK YAML parsing framework implemented -[NSString boolValue], and it caused problems with, of all things, the iPhone keyboard in iPhone OS 3.0).

As far as I've checked now, all calls go with the same "true" value. Therefore there is a chance that my simple patch will fix the issue. Of course, I understand that it would be better to replace this code with the full implementation of this method.

Best,
Alex