Hi, everyone.

I'm embarking on the creation of my first custom control, which will be basically like an NSSlider, but have more than one knob.

To illustrate what I need it for, let's use a handy Star Trek analogy. Say Mr. Scott is in the Enterprise engine room. He has 20 units of power to distribute among four systems: Life Support, Propulsion, Weapons, and Shields. His power routing display might include a control like my own: A vertical slider with one knob each for the four systems. By dragging one of the knobs up or down, Scotty can adjust the amount of power routed to the system. The control would never let the distribution add up to more than 20 units, but any or all system could be assigned zero units.

I guess the control is like a pie chart with an extra slice (for unassigned units) that the slices have been lined up vertically and squashed into a straight line.

Anyway, when a knob is selected with the mouse or by tabbing to it, I'd like the active knob to have a nice, fuzzy focus ring, just like a normal Aqua control. And it should appear blue or graphite color according to the user's preference setting.

Considering that the knob will probably be oddly shaped, how do I get the system to draw the focus ring? Is the system focus ring something you can just add to any graphic?