ok I downloaded your project. I agree with Jerry there's a memory leak,
actually worse than that, you aren't actually remembering the article to set
its parent if you create it, so

        [ DDArticle newArticleWithID: messageid context:ctx ];

should be

        article = [ DDArticle newArticleWithID: messageid context:ctx ];
        [ article release ];

I got the test to run in 30 seconds, which isn't too bad as just looping over
the articles takes about 7 seconds itself. Here's your problem, you're never
saving the work, so you are building up all the articles you're adding in
memory. Yes the SQL store has an index on it and yes coredata is issuing the
correct select command but .. there's nothing in the store. So as well as
looking in the store, it also has to scan every one of the objects still
waiting to be persisted. Clearly even though it uses an index on the SQL, it
doesn't use the index hint to build an in-memory map for finding the in-memory
objects which match a predicate. So yes your adds go slower and slower and
slower as core data each time does one SQL lookup in an always empty database
which finds 0 objects in 0.0005 of a second, then goes scanning an increasing
set of pending objects one by one. Since you never match as your IDs are
unique, it scans the whole set every time. If you log it you'll see it adding
slower and slower each iteration.

So I tried adding in [ archive save ] to make it commit and was surprised to
find nothing changed, until I realized that [ archive save ] saves the wrong
context, in fact your example code never saves anything to the DB at all!

Adding this in inside your add loop

        if( [ [ ctx updatedObjects ] count ] > 100 )
                [ ctx save:nil ];

means the working set is never larger than 100, so that limits the amount of
in-memory lookup, once the objects are cached in the DB, the SQL lookup piece
is blisteringly quick, so your check for existing objects runs in nearly
constant time. 100 is a parameter you can tweak, you could just save every
single time but that probably has overhead, if you make it much larger than 100
you have the save overhead less often but you have to scan more in-memory
objects, it's a compromise.

1000 checks and inserts a second seems .. about ok to me and if you make sure
and save the context regularly, you should be able to keep that rate up even as
the database size grows.