This is getting stranger by the minute.  I ruled out the menu issue as the
cause, then created a test app from the standard doc template.  Window
contain a scrolling text view and a button.  The app edits and archives
correctly (compiled using GC).  "init" sets an initial string in ts.  The
text view is bound to ts.

@interface MyDocument : NSDocument {
    IBOutlet NSTextView* tv;    //  To get caret location.
    NSTextStorage* ts;
}
@property(assign) NSTextStorage* ts;
- (IBAction)insertSomething:(id)sender; //  Action for button.
@end

- (IBAction)insertSomething:(id)sender {
    NSUInteger index = [tv selectedRange].location;
    [self.ts beginEditing];
    [self.ts insertAttributedString:[[NSAttributedString alloc]
initWithString:@"XYZ"] atIndex:index];
    [self.ts endEditing];
}

The latter gets called when the button is pushed and is supposed to insert
"XYZ" at the caret.  It all gets called, index is correct, but nada, zilch,
zip.  No change.  Anything obviously wrong with the above?