On Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Fritz Anderson wrote:

1. You don't say what "fail" means. A crash?
What error code? What stack trace?

EXC_BAD_ACCESS. Assembler call stack view shows line next to the subj call.

OS X 10.5.8 Never tried it in 10.6.X

2. This is all moot, because, as the leading underscore shows,
_dataSourceValueForColumn:row: is a private method.
It is not meant to be called by anyone but Apple. It is likely
that only Apple knows what the preconditions and postconditions
for calling it are; and they can change those conditions at any time.

Of couse, I never called it directly. I never implemented it. I just _use_ NSTableView. Nothing more. The fact is that it is working nice in the main app, where it is never destroyed explicitly. But it doesn't work correctly in a modal window, which I create and then release. As I've described the only way I've found is to assign the datasource explicitly in awakeFromNib and set it to nil explicitly in windowWillClose handler.

Really my question was - is this a known bug, a feature or my mistake?

Thanks.