Very interesting.  According to the documentation if I want to store the
reference and want it to persist after a reboot I need to do a bookmark.

You should not store or archive file reference URLs. A file’s ID may be
different for different boots of the operating system. If you need to store a
URL, see “Working with Bookmarks and Aliases.”
THANK YOU so much for pointing me in the correct direction.