On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 18:31:03 -0700, Jens Alfke said:

>Brad, what you want is a bookmark (in 10.6) or an alias reference.
>Aliases didn't have a Cocoa API until 10.6, but the procedural API isn't
>hard to use.

There is the 3rd party NDAlias wrapper, which works quite well:
<http://github.com/nathanday/ndalias>

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:28:59 -0500, Ken Thomases said:

>Sorry.  I probably shouldn't have said "deprecated".  Aliases are not
>officially deprecated, as far as I know.  Perhaps "superseded" is a
>better word.

It likely won't be deprecated for a long long time either, just like the
Resource Manager.  Many file formats (including QuickTime's .mov) store
aliases and so Apple needs to keep this functionality "forever".