On Apr 4, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Gregory Weston wrote:

> Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
>> As of Snow Leopard, alias records are deprecated in favor of bookmark data,
>> but, again, it's probably overkill.  (Both alias records and bookmark data
>> are more suitable if the reference is to be persisted for use by a later
>> process.  Also, both can apply more robust searching heuristics to find an
>> appropriate file even if it isn't the original.  For example, if the
>> original is deleted and replaced with a new file of the same name.)
>
> Having missed the introduction of the new bookmark routines, and having not
> gotten any warnings in my code, I was a bit surprised to read that alias
> records are deprecated.

Sorry.  I probably shouldn't have said "deprecated".  Aliases are not
officially deprecated, as far as I know.  Perhaps "superseded" is a better
word.  Bookmarks are clearly the new Apple-preferred way of achieving what used
to be done with aliases.

> From a quick scan, it looks like the bookmark methods are wrappers around the
> alias manager with (after about 20 years) an official mechanism for creating
> Finder alias files.

Well, conceptually, bookmarks are a superset of alias records.  However, I
believe that they have separate representations.  In particular, some of the
documentation mentions that alias files created using the bookmark API contain
both the bookmark data and the old-style alias record, separately.

Also, bookmark data records some of the file properties so you can query them
without having to resolve or access the original file.

Regards,
Ken