This is a really common problem for developers coming from other platforms.  In
the Windows world the only thing really analogous to retain/release is the COM
addref concepts, and even those lack the equivalent of autorelease.

The short version, in my experience, is when in doubt, manage the memory with
retain and release pairs.  Garbage collection is good, but can have unexpected
behaviors that become tricky to debug.  I know there are people that idol
disagree, but between apple's leak finding tools, llvm's analysis tools and
shark, it is often easier to hunt down a leak using old school retain/release
methods than new school garbage collection.

Sent from my iPad